Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Wales' Tales 12/1/14



Learning how to wrap a gift
Is such a special art.
You take some paper and a bow,
That’s how you have to start.
You fold the corners neat and square,
Make sure the edges meet,
And carefully adjust the crease,
And then, you must repeat.
The process moves from side to side
And then from end to end,
And somehow as you make the folds
The paper will not bend.
The scotch tape sticks to everything,
The bow then comes untied.
I sense the pressure building up,
At least I know I tried.
On Christmas morn, it doesn’t look
As if someone had worked,
With paper torn and bows askew
As though an imp had lurked
Beneath the tree to make things worse,
Perhaps a child at play,
Would turn this present upside down,
A rather poor display.
But I did try to show my love
By wrapping it myself,
In taking time to buy and give,
Not left upon the shelf.
I should have followed the advice
Of the girl behind the counter,
“Let me wrap it for you, sir”
Much better to encounter
A friendly smile, a gifted hand,
And skill to wrap the present,
On Christmas Day, I’d look quite good,
A winner, not a peasant.
But then again, I really tried,
My guilt I can release.
Though carnage is beneath the Tree,
My gift’s a gift of…
                                    Peace,

No comments:

Post a Comment