Thursday, August 23, 2012

Warriors' Weapons

I don't like guns.  Taking archery in college as a PE requirement is as close as I've come to holding a weapon.  I've never worn a bulletproof vest.  I've never been robbed or mugged.  I've only been in prison once to participate in Chuck Colson's Prison Ministry.  CSI is as close as I come to understanding the evil forces of crime.  So, Ephesians 6:10-20 is a challenge for me to understand how and why I would put on the whole armor of God.
But it's scripture.  It's the Word of God, so struggle I must, in my desire to be faithful.
It's helpful to understand the belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, shoes to keep me ready to proclaim the gospel of peace, and the shield of faith as protective gear against the cosmic and powerful forces of evil and sin both within me and swirling about me in the world.  I can vote for this kind of protection.  But the sword of the Spirit - the Word of God - is an offensive weapon, meant to get me up off the couch to do battle with injustice and oppression and all that imprisons people in states of poverty, hunger, uneducated, homelessness, vulnerable to crime or drugs or gangs.  If God is calling me - us - into battle the very real forces of violence, I'll need all the protection and power possible.
So, I'm intrigued with Topeka JUMP - Topeka Justice and Ministry Project as a community, congregational effort to tackle root causes of injustice specifically in Topeka.  I'm anxious to team up with my congregation and many other diverse congregations to re-think justice beyond responding to the symptoms of injustice.  As we examine our values of faith and our call to share God's good news with the world, we can claim God's power through careful and caring discernment.  As prophets or speakers of truth to power, we can call institutions to accountability for fairness, equality, and well being.
May we all be fed with God's truth that we may then use the sword of language and testimony to call for transformation.

Grace and peace,
Pastor Shelley

No comments:

Post a Comment